As fiscal 2018 steadily moves toward the Fourth Quarter, we are seeing various, different printing plants decide that this is a good time to re-invest since they can offer increased capabilities, at new, affordable pricing. Not to mention, they can also improve both makereadies and throughput, while providing new In-house products to their customers.
One of my clients, Next Day Four Color (ND4C), is a high-quality trade printing company with two Texas locations. Recently, they decided to upgrade their pressroom with a full-size format 40” multi-color sheetfed press. The press not only increased speeds and quality, but it opened the door for them to better compete in the book production market.
The new press also led them to upgrade their existing flat sheet booklet making system. Although the booklet maker was running fine, it could only collate flat sheets, stitching thinner products at very slow speeds. This resulted in lots of lost cutting time and operator loading of multiple bins. As ND4C kept expanding, it clearly became time to Invest in new finishing system capabilities as well.
ND4C CEO Todd Frost had spent several years discussing a proper solution with Muller Martini. And, after having attended the recent Print and Graph Expo technology shows, the decision was made to install Muller’s Presto II Conventional Signature Saddle Stitching System.
To date, the Presto II has provided these results:
- Achieves double to triple speeds for finished saddle stitched books (stacked / counted).
- Expands the versatility of book sizes and thickness for a growing customer base.
- Offers new “value added” ability to feed inserts, cards, and envelopes.
- Produces higher quality, finished books with page to page Print Register.
- Decreases makeready/ job set up time, via Servo Driven Auto Positioning utilizing Touch Screen Commander Set Up Wizard Control Center and a JDF workflow.
- Ensures investment protection for future Integration into digital workflow as the Presto II is digital ready for Inline flat sheet folding and variable data matching.
New technology can enhance your operation’s ability to Improve throughput, offer an expanded product line, and significantly impact bottom line results. Many thanks to Todd Frost for offering this customer experience.